Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mama Goo Shoe's "Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake

"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Hello! 

After nearly two weeks of insane computer problems, Ms. Toody is BACK! 

So, please forgive me if I've not been my usual commenty, linky-partying self…I'm just hoping this darn thing is finally fixed.

Let's get back to the real topic of this post…

…a simply great chocolate cake!

Would you describe yourself as Fancy Nancy or Plain Jane?

I know, that's not really a fair question. I can't even answer it myself.

I'm a little bit of both... 


A blingy cocktail dress...
     or a flannel shirt and jeans.

A gourmet meal at a fancy restaurant...
     or grilled cheese at the diner.

A decadent dessert that's a work of art...
    or a plain piece of chocolate cake.

"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Today, I am channeling Plain Jane, as Mama Goo Shoe's German chocolate cake is about as plain as you can get.

But appearances aren't everything…this cake is Delicious!


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

It's not pretty and Pinteresty…


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

But it's got a great personality! 


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Yikes, it sounds like I am trying to set you up on a blind date with this cake.

OK, maybe I am.  Just try it once! You'll like it! 

And if you don't, you'll never have to eat it again.


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

When I was a kid, my mother, Mama Goo Shoes, always used to try to get me to watch her while she was cooking. 
"Watch me so you'll learn."

I couldn't be bothered. I'd rather be outside playing jump rope, or on the phone with friends.  Watching her cook was BOR-ING. 

Which totally explains my cooking philosophy today:



I did, however, like to help when she baked, and as a result, I'm not half bad at it. 


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


One of the classic baking stories in our family is when my mother attempted an extremely elaborate cake that was featured on the cover of Bon Appetite magazine. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was complicated  and labor-intensive.

It had very thin layers, and lots of them…maybe ten. To make each layer, she had to turn the cake pan upside down, pour the cake batter on the bottom of the pan, so that it spread like a pancake, without going all the way to the edges, and bake it.

It was a painstaking process to make all those layers -- one at a time -- and then assemble the cake. 

But when she was finished, it looked exactly like the picture on the cover. I wish I had a picture of her cake, or copy of that magazine.

I don't remember the occasion for the cake, but she was bringing it somewhere. She packed it up, put it on the hood of the car, so she could unlock the doors. 

You know where this is going. 

She got in the car, and drove off…

…with the cake on the hood of the car. 

Splat!

I'm sure she must have burst into tears, but the only part I remember is how she told that story over and over again through the years, and how we laughed about it every time. 

Boy, she was a trooper.

Unfortunately, I did not inherit her layer-cake genes

In fact, here is my "epic-fail Smores cake" that I made for Junior Goo Shoes' birthday a few weeks ago. I thought it was going to make a great blog post, but the top slid off, and the marshmellow filling oozed out. That's what I get for rushing when putting it together.

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes


I can, however, make my mother's German Chocolate cake. And let's be honest here…it's not her recipe. It's the one on the back of the Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate Bar.


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

However, she did not make it as a layer cake. She made it in a 13 x 9 sheet pan.  
And she never iced it. 

Hence, it's Plain Jane appearance.

"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

She usually made this cake for Thanksgiving, or the Jewish holidays: Rosh Hashana, or the Yom Kippur break-fast (that's not 'breakfast'…it's when we "break the fast" after 24-hours of not eating after Yom Kippur). 

Everyone loved this cake…especially my cousin, Joe. 

I've decided that as a tribute to my mother's memory, I would make the cake every year for Rosh Hashana. 

One year, I strayed. I tried to make it exactly as the recipe said, with layers and icing. 

I hated it. 
Everyone hated it.

It was way too sweet. The cake is just too tasty on it's own, in my opinion. 

So that's how I made it this year. Plain Jane.


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

There's a time for Fancy, and there's a time for Plain.

Sometimes plain really is better. 


"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Mama Toody's Plain-Jane German Chocolate Cake
(adapted from Original Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe)

1 package (4 oz.) Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup water
4 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cover bottom of 13 x 9 pan with waxed or parchment paper; spray sides with cooking spray. 

Microwave chocolate and water in large microwaveable bowl on high 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

Beat egg whites in small bowl with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.  Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.  Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla.  Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.

Add egg whites; stir gently until well blended. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Oven cooking times vary, so time may need to be adjusted accordingly.

Immediately run small spatula around cake in pan. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes; carefully remove from pan to wire rack.  Cool completely.

Enjoy!
"Plain Jane" German Chocolate Cake -- It's Simply Delicious! By Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Linking with:

60 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Makes me think of a brownie more than a cake, which is not a problem since I love brownies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Khammany, yes, looks a lot like a brownie, but very cake-like in texture, and quite moist!

      Delete
    2. It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it! baby cakes birmingham al

      Delete
  2. Amy,

    Loved the story to this most beloved cake of yours! And, yes, as soon as my eyes hovered over, '...put it on the hood...', well, let's just say that I went into my 'I CAN'T LOOK!' horror movie reflex! But your Plain Jane German Chocolate Cake is definitely a sight for sore eyes and a suffering sweet tooth! Thanks for sharing!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poppy! I appreciate that you always stop by with a comment that makes me smile!

      Delete
  3. What a fun post Amy !!!
    I think it looks delicious - plain Jane is definitely ok with me ..................
    I'm a complete contradiction myself - ( a little bit country - a little bit rock n roll LOL )
    Pinning it - YES - I'm PINNING it !!!
    XOXOXO
    oh and that story about the cake on your Mom's roof of the car?
    I fell in love with her instantly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzan, for pinning my un-Pinteresty cake! Glad you liked the post:)

      Delete
  4. I am so glad your computer problems are fixed. I've missed "hanging" out. :)
    Thanks for sharing the pic of your cake fail. Being a food blogger is hard work! I'd much rather be a DIY blogger. It's much easier taking pictures of stuff rather than food.
    I love chocolate cake and I had no idea the one on this package would be a good one. I'll give it a try.
    I love the story of the cake on the roof of the car. Your poor mom. What a sweet tradition making the cake on Rosh Hashanah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, it was brutal being without a computer. Funny, I always find it easier to photograph food...I have a much harder time with the non-food stuff! Hope you give the cake a try!

      Delete
  5. I think the cake looks delicious. I wish I could taste it right now while drinking my coffee this morning. My husband's favorite cake is german chocolate, so I may have to give this recipe a try! It looks easy enough. Your poor mom was probably exhausted after making that fancy cake you described. That's why she drove off forgetting it on the car! She must've been a great cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was a great cook, and a much better baker than I am! If you do make the cake, I hope your husband likes this no-frills version!

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy. What a nice tribute to yoir Mom that you make this every year. I'm sure she didn't fine any humor in that cake on the roof! I like the plain, too, and I am copying your recipe to try.
    Just so you know you are still coming through when you leave a comment as a No Reply blogger so thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment this morning-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, Glad you are going to give the cake a try. I hope you like it! And I'm glad to be done with that No Reply Blogger problem!

      Delete
  7. Just me again-Did your blog start out under another name? When I use your name and try to add it to my side bar I get the message that the blog does not exist. If you have an old URL I can use that and then type in the name you are using now. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my!! This looks SO good!!! Probably not good to read food posts when I'm hungry!! LOL! I think I may just have to try making this, though!
    Ann @ Cairn Cottage
    http://cairncottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, I know, no one told me that blogging would be fattening!

      Delete
  9. Love the story of the flying cake...sounds like something I would do. Thinking I may need to try your plain jane recipe....Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, thanks for stopping by...hope you enjoy the cake if you try it.

      Delete
  10. I love your 'plain Jane' cake. I love all things chocolate and this looks awesome. I like how you added the bow to make it look prettier. I love the story too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at chocolate! wow! Thanks for posting at the two girls linkey party http://esskunst.org/?p=2659. Deb @ Kneaded Creations

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks very richly chocolaty and has to be very delicious, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a good thing I skipped breakfast today, between these bars and Ann's cake I am in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's nothing wrong with plain chocolate cake! Yummy!!
    I'm going to try it tomorrow night for dinner (well not for the actual dinner...for the dessert part...you know what I mean :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Ashley Rane Sparks
    www.makeitrane.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. New subscriber from the Bouquet of Talent link-up at Life on Lakeshore Drive.

    I never was particularly fond of German Chocolate Cake...I think it could be the texture of the coconut, but maybe it's been the overall sweetness, like you said. But your cake looks so good, I've had to put baker's chocolate on my next shopping list! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LuAnn, I'm glad you plan to give it a try! I hope you enjoy it. And thanks so much for following me!

      Delete
  16. Amy - I'm going to make your Mom's cake for dessert on Thanksgiving this year. Last year I made a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie and because my husband loves German Chocolate Cake, I made one of those too thinking he'd have the whole cake to himself all weekend to enjoy. Well, ALL of my turkey day guests passed on the pies and opted for the cake! Before I knew it, the whole cake was gone and I never got a piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you like it, Sharon! I've had that happen to me, where I've baked pies for Thanksgiving, and they just sit there, like a big fat turkey!

      Delete
  17. I don't like chocolate, but my DH and 2-year-old love it! This looks like something they would enjoy.
    Thanks for joining us for the Turn it Up Tuesday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It does look really good. I used to love it with all the frosting when I was a kid. I'd probably think it was too sweet now...however, I'd be willing to give it a try if someone made one for me. Probably not in the cards though since I don't bake and hubby doesn't like coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, that's my philosophy exactly -- everything tastes better when someone else makes it! And there's no coconut in this one!

      Delete
  19. LOL! Just the other day I was standing in front of all of the ice creams in the grocery store dismayed because no one had "German Chocolate" anymore. For some reason that is what I wanted and while 2 or 3 used to be available...nada! Well if I can't have the ice cream lo and behold here is your cake! I am pinning it for down the line ( which won't be long...you have started my craving all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well, Debra, I hope the cake is a good substitute since that ice cream sounds amazing!

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Honestly it looks beyond delish and so moist, I'm literally drooling! Gosh, what a story about your mom and the cake, glad she could actually laugh about it later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Debra...I don't think I'd be laughing! And yes, the cake is really moist and dense.

      Delete
  23. Thank you for sharing at our TGIF Link Party at A Peek Into My Paradise. Your post will be featured at the TGIF Link Party this week!
    Cathy @ http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yummy Brownies, great post, thanks for participating in the TGIF Link Party,

    your co-host Maria http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmm...this looks absolutely delicious! I just love rich chocolate brownies.

    Thanks so much for sharing this post with us at Turn It Up Tuesdays! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. this sounds delisicous I'll give this a try and I wish it will be just like in these photos and taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh that looks fabulous! My momma used to make the traditional version and it was one of my faves...and while I even love the icing...the cake was absolutely the best part of all! Thank so much for sharing at Turn It Up Tuesdays! Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, I'm usually all about the icing -- this cake is the only exception! Have a great day!

      Delete
  28. I stopped by because I loved your picture on Recipe Sharing Monday #65. Your cake looks so moist and yummy! Maybe I could get Hubby to try German Chocolate Cake, he usually does not like it because of the coconut in the frosting! I bet he would try this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, glad you liked the picture! The cake truly is moist, so I think you should make it for your Hubby!

      Delete
  29. This recipe looks great! Oh, my gosh! I love german chocolate cake and I'm drooling just looking at it. I'm with you, I'm somewhere in between fancy and plain...it's a good balance :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is nice discussion on this topic and this is more informative post.
    chocolate cocktail dresses

    ReplyDelete
  31. Chocolate cake is always great, and it doesn't have to be fancy. The important thing is the texture of the cake.
    I' always like to try new recipes of chocolate cakes and I might just try this one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is really worth it, Winnie. It's dense and moist, and the german chocolate gives it a different flavor. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  32. I'm always looking for new recipes for chocolate cake, and this one is great!! I love the texture - moist and rich. Thanks for sharing Amy

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.